The palace, built from 1878 to 1888, is a monument of King Ludwig's II admiration for King Louis XIV of France, his model for autocratic government; the castle is also a close imitation of Versailles. The king, who was much interested in the history of arts and crafts, had studied the Louis XIV period closely and had personally advised his architects. Today the palace attracts more than 600.000 visitors a year; the trip from Munich shows some of the most beautiful parts of the Upper Bavarian countryside.
Day trip by bus.
Details for travel with Autobus Oberbayern bus company (about 1 hour from Munich).
- Seats are to be taken 20 minutes before departure time
- Departure of Autobus Oberbayern: Neptune Fountain, Elisenstraße
- To get to the Neptune fountain: U-Bahn U1/U2/U7 or U4/U5, to "Hauptbahnhof" (Central rail station, main exit) or tram 16/17/20/21, "Hauptbahnhof Nord" station
- Then on foot: north along Luisenstraße, after a few meters turn right into Elisenstraße, Neptune fountain is to the left in the Botanical Garden
- eturning to: Central rail station Bahnhofplatz (in front of Hertie store)