Dachau a town about 45 minutes from Munich has been the location of the first Nazi concentration camp ("KZ"). Dachau was a slave labor camp (not a "death camp" like Auschwitz or Treblinka). It served as the model after which many other such prisons were subsequently built. The camp had prisoners living under inhuman conditions. There were 31,591 officially registered deaths. Significant parts of the main camp were restored and the entire grounds now serve as a memorial to all the victims. The main building is a museum which features numerous photos with captions. Guided tour.
Half day trip
Details for travel with Autobus Oberbayern bus company (about 20 min. from Munich).
- Seats are to be taken 20 minutes before departure time.
- Departure of Autobus Oberbayern: Neptune Fountain, Elisenstraße
- To get to the Neptune fountain: U-Bahn U1/U2/U7 or U4/U5, to "Hauptbahnhof" (Central rail station, main exit) or tram 16/17/20/21, "Hauptbahnhof Nord" station.
- Then on foot: north along Luisenstraße, after a few meters turn right into Elisenstraße, Neptune fountain is to the left in the Botanical Garden
- Returning to: Central rail station - Bahnhofplatz (in front of Hertie store)